Custom Pages

Friday, June 30, 2017

Favorite vacation moments

Friday, June 30, 2017

Last week Ryan and I went on vacation to the Outer Banks with his whole family-all 19 of us. Yes, we made it through an entire week of sharing one house and nobody killing each other (I just feel like my fellow introverts would understand and applaud me on such a point).

We laid around at the beach and ate until we could eat no more (if food isn't the center of your vacation hopes and dreams then I just don't know you). Ryan has this thing every vacation where he will lose weight in preparation for the weight gain that happens during vacation. Let me tell you, that boy came back from vacation 15 pounds heavier (≧◡≦). But he is also the type that he will eat healthy/exercise and have it off in like two weeks. Boys ╰(◡‿◡✿╰) !?

One day we went to an outside art show with his parents, and the talent was amazing! I wish I would have gotten some pics but some artists are weird about that, so I didn't try my luck. It was really cool getting to interact with some of the artists. One was a lady who had some wickedly amazing paintings (some of which were from a trip to China-ahhh! the life) and she told me how she didn't start painting until her 50's, in which she found out she had talent, quit her corporate job and became a painter. I loved her story. Another gentleman had a display of really peaceful scenes and he was the sweetest. Ryan told him that I'm an artist (which embarrasses me because I'm just starting to really learn how to properly draw!!!) and the gentleman kept telling me that he was sure I was great and to keep up the good work. It was the cutest thing ever. He signs all of his paintings with GTG in front of his name- "Glory to God". I just love humble people, they are my sort of people. 

That same day, we travelled with Ryan's parents to Roanoke Island where we toured the Elizabethan gardens. I died again and again with each and every flower. I snapped a ton of pics and have plans to use it as inspiration for a fabric collection. (Notice from the first picture, what Ryan named my file on google drive ↁ_ↁ)








After that, we met Ryan's sister, Danielle, and her husband and kids to eat dinner and go to a For King and Country concert. It was an outdoor concert on a remote part of the island, and we had trouble finding a place to eat because all of the sound checks and such took out the electricity to half the island!

We went to the concert, and it was opened by an Irish Christian band called We Are Messengers- and let me tell you-they live up to their name! The main guy gave his testimony and even reached out to a female member of the audience who is a mother of three, struggling with her battle with Cystic Fibrosis. The whole crowd was praying, it was so powerful!

For King and Country was of course amazing, but I especially relished in spending time with Danielle's three boys and seeing them get excited over one of their favorite bands. 

I also started the book North and South over vacation, and it was the perfect story. British Literature from the Victorian time period is truly the loveliest!

Even though vacation provided the rest I needed, I'm glad to be back in my routine, and in my own home complete with the orneriest puppies.

2 comments :

  1. Love this! I am so jealous of men and their ability to drop weight as easily as I drop my car keys. It takes me weeks of perfect eating and exercise to make my pants feel even slightly looser.

    Those gardens look amazing (lolol elesbian). I think we're going to be down there next summer. At least, we'll be visiting James' family. I'm pushing for a trip to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know-he makes me sick! I am the same way, girl!

      The gardens were amazing- I wish you could have gone with me :) We would have been in our Jane Austen state of minds ;)

      AHHH! I can't wait for you guys to go on a family vacation-SO FUN!!!

      Delete