E'erybody's doin' it!

Since Michelle and Angi did it, I want to join the party!

1. What are your nicknames? What you do like to be called? Jo, Jo-Jo, Joellie (by my co-workers), J'ellen (when my nephew couldn't pronounce my name). I have a whole slew of names that people call me because they can't pronounce it. Thanks to Dolly Parton, Jolene is one of the mispronunciations. I'm used to it, and I don't really mind.
2. What books are on your shelf begging to be read? How much time do you have? I'll just list a few- North and South, Keep a Quiet Heart, Bleak House, Sense and Sensibility, Julia Child's memoir.
3. What often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? flowers, food with faces.
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and turn? Try to get up and do something productive? Toss and turn, mostly. Sometimes I'll get up and write. If I can't sleep at night it's normally because I am in deep thought, so writing lets me spill it all out.
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it? If I'm stocked up with food, books, crafts supplies, and Netflix, I would never leave the house. I think I would miss Ryan though.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away? Save them for a long time until I purge the house.
7. What is your dream career? I would love to be a surface pattern designer- fabric, stationary, etc! Drawing doesn't come naturally to me so it takes me a long time to come up with usable sketches for a design. But I love color and illustrations, so I would love to make my own designs one day!

8. When making an entrance into a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost? I don't really go to parties. If I'm going to a social function, I'll hide behind Ryan or my phone.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be? I'm a highly sensitive person. I can detect a person's change in mood/tone sometimes even before they consciously can. I have a strong "emotional sense" (?is that a term?) for others, even though I have a hard time understanding my own.  
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror? Umm...I guess, anytime I walk past one? I know that sounds vain, but I  have a strong affinity for having something awkward/embarrassing going on, so it's good to do a spot check
11. What’s the strangest thing you believed as a child? I'm not sure...

12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? Too many. Coffee, for example. I have a strange (but minor) bladder condition where caffeine can really irritate it, but I'd rather deal with the discomfort than give up my liquid gold.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know? Probably my mom. I don't deserve her.
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections? I don't get into too much news. I like Ben Shapiro though!

15. Which animals scare you the most? Why? Outside of the obvious ones that could eat me? Skunks. I've always lived near the woods and loved exploring them. But I've also had anxiety that I would run across one and spray me and that I would stink forever.
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on? I normally do everything I can to avoid conflict. But there was this one time that a person abused her power with me too much and I told her off. In front of a lot of people. I can't stand bullies.

17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savored? This wasn't recently, but a couple of years ago, I quit my job at the pharmacy and worked in a lab. The lab job was killing me and so my former boss was trying to help me get my old job back. She told me that after I left she was really down and her husband pointed out to her that he thought it was because I didn't work there anymore. I don't know, it touched me and always stayed with me.
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will? Do I have to pick one? My birthing hips, splotchy skin, touchy feelings.
19. Are you a creature of habit? I'm dull, yes. I wish I at least had better habits- working out consistently, eating healthfully, doing more than crashing on my couch after work.
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain.  When I'm tired or hungry.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? After I got married, I started my senior year of college. I was going to school every day during the week and working every weekend. When midterms came up, I went for three days straight with maybe five hours of total sleep.
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? Both, I guess? I work in a big work environment (hospital) and I'm married to our church's youth director. I can only maintain a few really close friends though.
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others? I would love to have my own creative business one day-but a humble one to supplement Ryan's income when we have kids. I also like to encourage people, so it would be cool to "unleash the potential of others".
24. What’s a strangest occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone? Not sure...Other than my husband, parents, and some co-workers, I haven't really talked about my bladder problem that I mentioned above. Like how do you bring that up? It's called interstitial cystitis. It was like a two month long UTI  and spent most of my evenings with a heating pad between running to the bathroom every half hour. It has mostly cleared up now. Just praying that it doesn't come back when I'm pregnant one day!
25. What do you think about more than anything else? Ugh. Question is, what am I not thinking about? I have my own little world up there.
26. What’s something that amazes you? Nature
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? I want the truth. But with humility.
28. Where’s your favorite place to take an out of town guest? We have a diner that has the whole "Luke's Diner" vibe going on, so probably there for breakfast.
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? When people find out that I sew, they like to bring me pants that need hemmed, etc. I can't say no. But I don't even hem my own pants. If sewing doesn't involve me designing something to my taste, or making something for someone extra special, I don't want to do it.
30. Do you have a catchphrase? Umm...I use the "your mom" jokes entirely too much.
31. What is one of your most cherished memories? Probably last vacation. I read Jane Eyre on the beach. Ryan and I discovered a family run bakery that we would go to every morning. We also found a cute bookshop in the area. We were with Ryan's whole family (parents, 3 sisters and their families) and the four older nephews would curl up downstairs with me at night and watch Harry Potter while eating snacks.
32. How and where do you prefer to study? I don't study anymore. If I did, it would have to be away from people, in an organized area.
33. What position do you sleep in? On my left side.
34. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Why? I've only been to Pittsburg, PA once but it was fun! It's a big city without all of the safety or parking issues than say, NYC. I also just love North Carolina, it is beautiful. I would love to visit a New England state in the fall.

35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new? Humility, Wit, Creativity
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you? Meh. Only child. Idk? But I always wanted a little sister.

37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? my ability to commit to things. I have so many things I want to do, and not enough perseverance to see them through.
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? I've had family members that have passed away that I wish I would have spent more time with. I've restored my most broken relationship, although it is still a work in progress.
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? I've never really been a fan of my name, but I'll keep it.
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not? Nope. Truth wins.
41. What do you consider unforgivable? I'm two sided. I get my feelings hurt pretty easily, but I don't think I've ever known myself to not forgive someone when they ask me.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? I am unfortunately the biggest self loather. And I hate myself for that (LOLZ). I have flashbacks of things that I said or did YEARS ago that made me feel stupid or awkward or that were mean and I can make myself sick about them. It's a struggle sometimes.
43. How difficult if it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize? I'm learning to not let those things control me as much.
44. Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? Oh Yes.
45. What three fictional characters best represent you? Please don't judge me for these! I'm a huge X-Men fan, and last year, when I saw X-Men:Apocalypse, I realized that I am Jean Grey. She can read peoples' minds and peoples' pain torments her. She has a lot of inner rage, that she somehow ends up channeling for good. It's scary, but I feel a kindred spirit to her.  I also can relate to Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. She is quirky and has strong convictions. And last, but not least, Rory Gilmore (at least for the first couple of seasons)-Bookworm, movie binger, junk food consumer.
46. In what area of your life are you immature? Most people don't expect this from me (around most people I am sweet and quiet) but if I know you really well, you may be surprised by my morbid and slightly perverted humor. I also love to play jokes and tease people, it is one of my love languages. I realized that I have a Jim-Dwight relationship with one of my coworkers and I want nothing more than to hide her stapler in a bundt cake of jello.
47. What was the best news you ever received? that Ryan wasn't even injured after flipping his car over two roads of the highway last summer (still praising Jesus for that one!)
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular? Hmm, I'll share my unpopular convictions of my faith. Most other topics are not worth my "counter" opinion.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first? I don't click immediately with most people because I am quiet. But the ones that I did click with instantly, are still in my life.

50. When do you find yourself singing? Randomly and always out of tune.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this!!! #42 is MY LIFE. The other day I was thinking about something embarrassing from ELEVEN years ago and I was red hot from mortification. What is wrong with me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha! I know that feeling all too well!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, interstitial cystitis sounds AWFUL. I've had two UTIs in my life, one of which turned quickly into a kidney infection requiring antibiotics, and they were absolutely horrid. I wouldn't wish a simple UTI on anybody, let alone one that lasts two months!!

    I feel like I could just say "me too" to a lot of these...haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful :( Some people have it worse than I did! It's weird because my mom had a kidney infection and stones last year and for months she dealt with even more pain than I ever did.-Months where she couldn't do hardly anything, and they had no idea what was wrong. She finally got better after they gave her some steroids. Looking back, I think she had dealt with IC,like I did. Just glad we are both past that now!

      This is why we are becoming great friends! Thank goodness for the internet!!!

      Delete
  3. This was so fun to read! The comparison to the character in X-Men made me laugh, haha! I wouldn't have guessed that you have pent-up rage. :-P I need to read North And South one day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I am quite the rainbow of emotions :) cynical and sarcastic --> unicorns and butterflies lol

      I can't wait to read North and South. I think I'm gonna take it on vacation this Summer, I always save the special books for vacation :)

      Delete