Back to the Basics

So, I'm reposting something to my blog that I wrote on Facebook this morning. I'm Facebook friends with a lot of my church family and the teens from our youth group (Ryan and I are our church's YG directors). I love writing about my faith in God and different developments/ things that I am learning and then sharing it with others. My husband is great at the spoken word (as well as written, that butthead), and that is a big part of his ministry with our teens. The most encouragement I can offer is through one-on-one over some coffee or my written words. So knowing those two things, you can now account for a slightly different tone in comparison to my other posts, haha. I desire for this blog to be a collection of my writings so I wanted to file what I wrote here, as well. If you can't deal with the randomness of my blog, you probably can't deal with the randomness of me in real life: from lighthearted (and at times maybe immature) to openly talking about my faith in God, I want to bare all (or at least most, I realize I should probably spare you any bathroom jargon haha). So here goes:

As I sit here reading my bible, I am amazed at passages that I've heard or read several times before that I'm just now truly understanding. It's a high point for me in the discipline of reading the Bible, but I'm a little embarrassed at how many "high points in scripture" that I've actually had in my life so far. 

A lot of my Christian walk and forming of beliefs had previously come from sermons, conversations, and biblical self-help books. And while those things can certainly bolster one's faith, it cannot be our only (or majority) form of spiritual nourishment. 
A couple of years ago I took up a plan to read the Bible in a year on my phone's bible app. It took me longer than a year but I made it through it and learned a good bit. But now that I'm on my second run through, I cannot believe the amount of things that I read previously and "missed".  It's been even more of a struggle to stay disciplined this second time through, for various reasons. But I believe it is partially because I'm not just reading details, but understanding more of the narrative/total picture which has led to me to wrestling more with my own faith and beliefs. That takes a lot more work than simply reading words and maybe finding some "enlightenment" here and there. 

But I want to encourage those who are maybe struggling with reading through their Bible plans. It's the Word of God Himself. If you rely on your pastor, family, or friends to form your beliefs, you will only be able to have a superficial faith -at best. And at worst, you could be consuming only half truths and deception. You never know the validity of what others are saying until you have an actual Biblical foundation. 
We are called as Believers to defend our faith. Faith, like love, is not a feeling, it's an action. It includes every day, picking up your Bible to hear from God in hopes of finding life altering truth. And while I still (and probably will at times for the rest of my life) struggle to make it a daily priority, I can definitely notice the difference between the days that I do and the days that I don't. 
I can promise that the more you read, the easier it will become to understand, the more beauty you will find in God and others, the easier it will be to bear life and all of its, shall we say (?), nuances😜 The more you read, the more your pride and love of this life's idols will be opened before you- you know, the things that lead to the destruction of yourself and those around you and most importantly, your relationship with God. It can be a painful process, but do I need to make this even more of a corny, lay out my feelings, sorta post by making me add some sort of butterfly metaphor? 😁

So let me end on this:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. So that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 comments:

  1. Love this so much. I was so proud of you when I read this on FB, and your words have challenged me as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! You are always challenging me! I love our theological discussions!

      Delete