Book Babble: Hyperbole and a Half

It has been a roller coaster of a week for my emotions, to say the least. Mostly good, but big things needing to happen and it was just exhausting. Today is my day off and I reached for some comedic relief.
I remembered a book that I picked up a few months back and it has been a total morning of complete indulgence. 


I had always seen the book, Hyperbole and a Half, in various bookstores; that quirky cover  popping out at me. One day, while in Barnes and Noble, I was compelled more than normal to finally give it a look. I read one of the stories and laughed so much that I decided to carry it back into the Starbucks section where Ryan was sitting to share it with him too. We both loved it and decided it was worth whatever ridiculous amount that Barnes and Noble was selling it for. We took it everywhere with us that next week and I would read snippets to him. About a third the way through, life got in the way and it was sadly placed back on the bookshelf for safe keeping. I pulled it back out first thing this morning and read it clear through. This book had me in shambles. But the good kind. Although I can't necessarily exclaim my love for it from the rooftop (the language gets foul sometimes), Brosh's portrayal of irony and awkward situations constantly had me in stitches. I love when an artist can take something so ordinary and make it extraordinary-bringing out the beauty, or in this case, the comedy, in so many different situations. 

Here's a little snippet to entice you: 

In this excerpt, she is showing a good example of what it feels like to talk to other people about depression, when they have had no experience with it-





What can I say?! I just love it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the snippet. Now I'm curious to go check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole book is filled with awesome little gems such as the one above :)

      Delete
  2. I love the Allie's blog but I haven't read her book. She's so funny, and she has such a good way to explaining things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she hilarious?! I will have to check out her blog!

      Delete