Custom Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Story of Us, Before You

Wednesday, November 4, 2015
Your mom once told me that although she could never admit it, she NEVER won an argument against you.


I’d have to say, looking back, I kind of knew it from the start.


You were two years older. The clown. The football player. The guy that even girls in my grade, far removed from you, would pine after.


I was the only one in my class with glasses AND braces. I hid behind homework and books and didn’t venture much outside of school and home.


But there you were in Sunday School class. The teacher asked me to step outside, to what I would later find to be a social experiment. To make an example out of me for his lesson on peer pressure and persuasion.


He had me come back in and look at 3 lines on the board and tell him which one was the longest. I most certainly said they were all the same.


“Are you sure?” you said.


Now, I don’t know if it was your calming eyes. Your confident smile. Or the smooth way you were able to string your words together. BUT without much hesitation you had me convinced that the one on the right was a little longer than the rest of them.


We didn’t really interact much for several years after that. We each had our own paths that we had to take and learn from. It took about 8 years for the “stars to align”. Starting with a simple friend request. And your immediate message to me that same evening. I have to say, that simple step that I took towards you on Facebook that day, altered the course of my whole life.

You could have used that skill to burn people and create yourself a life that climbed the corporate ladder to all-consuming power. Instead, you chose to use it as a means to build others up. To let them know they have value when it feels like all the odds are stacked against them. To make a joke that instantly lightens even the heaviest of hearts. To defend the helpless when someone else has totally wronged them. You have been this consistently in my life. And I am grateful to be yours as you do this in the lives of so many others.


2 comments :

  1. I LOVE THIS. Swoon. I am so happy that I was there with you during some of those first moments ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very fortunate to have been in eachother's weddings and still be close today!

      Delete