Custom Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Soul Weather

Thursday, March 2, 2017
This week has been quite the potpourri of weather. The skies have been discontent, leading to an unleashing of all sorts of violence- storms, flash flooding, tornado warnings, and Thursday's soup du jour-snow! We were awakened on two separate nights this week by thunder and lightening (or rather, our dog's reactions to them) and caught off guard by the fact that our phones send blazing alerts at 3 o'clock in the morning about flash flood possibilities. The wind freaked me out two days straight as the giant trees towering over our house swayed and casted shadows in our windows. "Impaled by massive limb during sleep" is not how I pictured going down.

Despite fearing for our lives and the stability of our house, I can't help but be amazed at God's majestic show. I can pretend to be annoyed about waking up in the wee hours of the morning to flashes of lightening and my dog backing her butt up over and over into my face, but I can't help but find it a little romantic- listening to the rain lash against the window, laying as close as possible to my husband (he can catch the tree in time if it falls through the roof, right?).

Way back when it was just my mother and me, we would watch storms all night long. In fact, my earliest memory is being in a blue onesie, on the couch snuggled up to my mom as the lightening lit up the sky. People aren't suppose to remember that far back, but I guess that is just how much I've always enjoyed storms.

Most people become antsy about being at work on a day of sunshine, but you can always find me stealing a few minutes to daydream out the nearest window while it's pouring down rain. I immediately become homesick for lounging near a picture window while curled up with a blanket, coffee, my invasive puppies and a good book.

I wouldn't want weather like this all year long but I sure can't fathom the boredom of eternal sunshine.












9 comments :

  1. I so agree, only sunny weather would be boring! Here it always snows in Spring, and while it is sometimes annoying, I always take full advantage and breaks out the hot chocolate, blankets, and books! It's always cozy. I was also scared to death the other night by some ridiculous wind. I was honestly laying there, trying to think of all the big trees outside our house and assuring myself that none of them were near the kids' rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet! I can tell you are a wonderful, comforting momma bear! Snowy and rainy days must be some of the best around your house <3

      Delete
  2. Having lived in both types of climates (constant, never-ending rain and temperatures that rarely reach 60 vs. constant, never-ending sunshine and temperatures that rarely dip below 80) I can honestly say I don't know which I prefer. Living in Oklahoma for college, I would have killed to have rain, lots of trees, gloomy days...living in Alaska, I would kill to have an actual summer once in a while. I have sandals I haven't worn in two years because it hasn't gotten warm enough.

    I think my ideal climate is Seattle (go figure, where I'm from). Rainy, gloomy winters and sunny, warm summers. You know, seasons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm with you on those seasons, girl! I have always wanted to visit Seattle. That's cool that you have experienced so many different places :D

      Delete
    2. Someone else I know says she wants to visit Seattle someday, too (starts with an "M" and rhymes with "schnichelle"). I'm still holding out hope to move back there one of these days (preferably sooner rather than later) in which case...SEATTLE MEET UP, STAT.

      Delete
  3. That list sentence gave me chills it's so good! This whole post proves you're my soulmate friend. But seriously, THE WEATHER LATELY. Those storms scared me to death in the middle of the night, but I also loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! We are soul mate friends! <3 <3<3

      Delete
  4. That last sentence is gorgeous!! I want someone to put it on artwork to hang in my house.

    ReplyDelete